Visit this page to learn about the issues and contact your legislators through email, phone and social media. You can also sign a petition, find your legislative district and sign up to receive text message alerts from NJEA.
- New Jersey Humane State student art and essay contest September 19, 2018In partnership with The Animal Welfare Fund of New Jersey, The Lesniak Institute is opening up the design of the state’s newest license plate to students. New Jersey students in elementary, middle and high school are encouraged to participate. The goal of this contest is to inspire students to use their artistic talent to promote […] The post New Jersey Huma […]
- FAQ: Changes to SEHBP health care coverage for Medicare-eligible retirees September 19, 2018This information updated as of 9/19/18. What has changed? Beginning on January 1, 2019, Medicare retirees will have access to some additional benefits, including reimbursement of certain co-payments and participation in NJWELL. Those new benefits are explained in more detail below. In addition, some current Medicare supplemental plans currently offered to Me […]
- New Providence EA Members March for a Fair Contract September 18, 2018It has been decades since the New Providence EA has begun a school year without a contract. But on a rainy Monday evening, Sept. 17, over 100 members marched a half mile from the high school to the district board office. Members reminded the board that they will be heard. New Providence district is a […] The post New Providence EA Members March for a Fair Co […]
- SEHBC Design Committee agrees to changes, enhancements for active and retiree health benefits September 18, 2018On September 17, the School Employees’ Health Benefits Commission Design Committee voted to approve certain changes designed to keep benefits affordable while maintaining, and in some cases enhancing, benefit levels in the School Employees’ Health Benefits Plan (SEHBP). Gov. Phil Murphy immediately issued a statement highlighting the importance of collective […]
- Murphy endorses Ch. 78 relief September 18, 2018Governor praises NJEA members, others for collective bargaining effort Following an agreement to control costs while maintaining benefit quality in the SEHBP, Gov. Phil Murphy issued a statement highlighting the importance of collective bargaining and offering a clear public endorsement of legislative action to provide relief from the economic burden of Ch. […]
- NEA President calls on members to support Hurricane Florence relief efforts September 18, 2018NEA President Lily Eskelsen Garcia: Dear Sisters and Brothers, By now, we are all beginning to see the extent of the damage from Hurricane Florence. It has ravaged communities in the Carolinas and Virginia, leaving behind a trail of pain and loss. The huge, slow-moving tropical storm has caused 32 deaths, and additional fatalities are […] The post NEA Presid […]
- Bridgeton school safety officers unanimously choose to join NJEA September 18, 2018“We wanted to have a voice” In June 2017, the 17 school safety officers who work in Bridgeton’s public schools met with then-NJEA Field Representative Jim Jameson and NJEA network attorney Kevin McCann to discuss affiliating with NJEA. As school safety officers, they play a crucial role in their schools – but one that was […] The post Bridgeton school safety […]
- NJEA members support DOE at joint Senate/Assembly Education Committee hearing on PARCC September 17, 2018On Sept. 12, the New Jersey State Board of Education tabled a vote on regulations that would begin the transition away from the PARCC assessment. The pressure to postpone adoption came from Sen. Teresa Ruiz, chair of the Senate Education Committee. Sen. Ruiz convened a joint hearing of the Senate and Assembly education committees on […] The post NJEA members […]
- Executive Assistant/Office Manager September 17, 2018NJEA announces an vacancy for an Executive Assistant/Office Manager in the Executive Office Job Summary Under the direction of the Executive Director, carries out assignments of a varied nature to fulfill the mission of the executive office, the executive director and the officers. These assignments require expertise in office management, organizational pol […]
- NJEA statement on SEHBP agreement September 17, 2018Hails win-win outcome on health care costs On Monday, NJEA’s representatives on the School Employees Health Benefits Program (SEHBP) Design Committee, voted with the majority of the committee on a package of reforms that are projected to save the state hundreds of millions in the coming years. The reforms were the result of extensive discussions […] The post […]
Myth vs. Reality
Are you tired of hearing your neighbors, friends, relatives, politicians and the media spreading misinformation about public education, student achievement, your compensation, and other hot issues? Now you can speak out. Read “Myth vs. Reality” and set the record straight!
- New Jersey Humane State student art and essay contest September 19, 2018
- NJEA officers testify before SBOE commending PARCC changesThe State Board of Education held their monthly meeting in Trenton on Sept. 12, 2018. On the agenda was the discussion of several proposals from the New Jersey Department of Education regarding the Partnership for Assessment of Readiness for College and Careers, or PARCC, assessments. The much-needed changes are the first step in the right […] The post NJEA […]