Visit this page to learn about the issues and contact your legislators through email, phone and social media. You can also sign a petition, find your legislative district and sign up to receive text message alerts from NJEA.
- NJEA UniServ Field Representative – Region 27 (Passaic County) October 17, 2018NJEA announces a vacancy for a UniServ Field Representative in Region 27 (Passaic County). DUTIES Provide UniServ service in the following areas: Coordination of NJEA-NEA resources into local associations, including professional development, instructional improvement and human relations Negotiation service to local associations Contract administration/grieva […]
- Benefits and the power of activism the focus of fall meeting October 16, 2018Nearly 300 retired leaders and members packed the Nottingham Ballroom in Hamilton last month for the annual NJREA fall meeting. All were there to learn more about the School Employees’ Health Benefits Plan Design Committee’s (SEHBP) decision to make some changes and improved benefits offerings to retirees. NJREA President Judy Perkins kicked off the meeting […]
- Field Representative – Organizational Development October 16, 2018NJEA announces an opening for a Field Representative for Organizational Development in the Executive Office. Job Summary Individuals holding this position report directly to the Assistant Executive Director. The purpose of the position is to develop, plan and implement a variety of programs which grow and maintain membership; develop and support affiliate l […]
- Temporary Associate Director – Organizing and Coalition Building October 16, 2018NJEA announces an opening for a temporary Associate Director for Organizing and Coalition Building in the Communications Division. Job Summary Directly responsible to the Director of the Communications Division for activities related to the Hipp Foundation, Community Involvement, NJEA’s Read Across America Program, Organizational Public Relations, and Coalit […]
- MCREA celebrates 60 years October 16, 2018The Morris County Retirees Education Association’s (MCREA) 60th Anniversary Celebration was held at the Zeris Inn in Mountain Lakes last week. Joining MCREA members were NJEA Secretary-Treasurer Steve Beatty, NJREA President Judy Perkins, and NJREA First Vice President Walter Krichling. The event had a surprise guest, Assemblyman Anthony M. Bucco, who prese […]
- NJEA Higher Education Committee Chair on free tuition at New Jersey community colleges October 16, 2018by Alan Kaufman Chair, NJEA Higher Education Committee Attendance at the City University of New York was historically free. This began with its founding in 1847 as the Free Academy and continued until tuition was imposed by Mayor Beame in 1976 during a city-wide fiscal crisis. Without free tuition it is unlikely that I would […] The post NJEA Higher Educat […]
- Classroom Close-up NJ wins 16th Emmy October 15, 2018Honored for Public/Current/Community Affairs Program/Special Classroom Close-up, NJ, NJEA’s television show featuring the outstanding work of NJEA members across the state, was honored this weekend with its 16th Emmy by the Mid-Atlantic Chapter of the National Academy of Television Arts and Sciences. The show, currently in its 25th season, won in the categor […]
- NJ State House offers tours, programs for educators October 15, 2018Learning about your role as a citizen in a democracy isn’t just a state standard, it’s a critical part of maintaining a strong and responsive government. Bring those lessons to life by taking advantage of the resources available at the NJ State House. Here are just a few: Tours The State House Tour Office brings […] The post NJ State House offers tours, prog […]
- Nominate scholar athletes for NJEA/News 12 recognition program October 12, 2018NJEA and News 12 New Jersey are seeking high school students who excel both academically and athletically. The NJEA/News 12 Scholar Athlete Recognition Program honors New Jersey high school seniors who are successful not only in the classroom, but on the court or on the field. Thirty students will be selected based on nominations […] The post Nominate scho […]
- NJEA PAC-endorsed candidates October 12, 2018On Nov. 6, Americans will go to the polls to elect their representatives to the United States Congress. New Jersey voters will elect 12 members to the House of Representatives and one U.S. senator. NJEA and NEA have endorsed candidates in 10 congressional districts. New Jersey voters in four legislative districts (LD) will vote to […] The post NJEA PAC-endor […]
Myth vs. Reality
Are you tired of hearing your neighbors, friends, relatives, politicians and the media spreading misinformation about public education, student achievement, your compensation, and other hot issues? Now you can speak out. Read “Myth vs. Reality” and set the record straight!
- NJEA UniServ Field Representative – Region 27 (Passaic County) October 17, 2018
- Responding to school-related violenceWhat about restorative justice? By Dorothy Wigmore How do we respond to school-related violence? A “zero tolerance” policy? Progressive discipline? Detention? Suspension? Expulsion? Calling the cops? They all leave the needs of the target of the violence unaddressed, the alleged perpetrator punished without an opportunity to repair the harm, and no evalua […]